- (940) 397-4031
- (940) 397 4893
- Assistant Professor
- Bolin Hall
My research interests lies in the integration of gravity, magnetic, and geologic methods towards the study of Precambrian basements, basins, and rifts of continental interiors. I have been using satellite and ground based gravity, airborne magnetic data as well as shuttle radar tomographic mission to understand the kinematics of pre-rift structures and their influence in rift initiation and propagation. In particular, I am examining the role of pre-rift structures on rift formation, a subject of much interest among geoscientists in the search for conventional hydrocarbon reservoirs. Currently I have a running collaborative project-Dry Rifting in the Albertine-Rhino Graben (DRIAR) funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). We are combining geophysical, geodynamic modeling and geological data to unravel the process responsible for the initiation of the Magma poor Albertine of western branch of the East African Rift System.
My energy is also focused towards near-surface geophysics, particularly in the application of seismic, geo-electrical methods (electrical resistivity, induced polarization, self-potential, electromagnetic induction, and ground penetrating radar) to groundwater contamination, engineering, agriculture, and environmental problems. On a global community participation, I am interested in investigating geophysical signatures left behind in former nuclear test sites. Such studies are important and will form the foundation for the development of more robust geophysical models necessary for the characterization of nuclear tests if conducted by any state.
|Oklahoma State University||PhD Geology||2016|
|Makerere University||Bsc Geology and Chemistry||1995|
|ITC Delft The Netherlands||Msc Applied Geology|
|Employer||Position||Start Date||End Date|
|Midwestern State University||Assistant Professor||08/15/2018|
|Oklahoma State University||Visiting Assistant Professor||07/01/2017||08/01/2018|
|Oklahoma State University||Postdoctoral Research Associate||06/01/2016||06/01/2017|
Publications and Scholarly contributions
A: Journal Publications
1.Nyalugwea, V.N, Abdelsalam, M.H, Atekwana, E.A, Katumwehe, A.B, Kevin Mickus, and Jalf Salimad., 2018. Lithospheric structure beneath the Cretaceous Chilwa Alkaline Province (CAP) in southern Malawi and northeastern Mozambique (Submitted to Geophysics, Geosystems and Geochemistry Journal).
2.Goussi Ngalamo, J. F., D. Bisso, M. G. Abdelsalam, E. A. Atekwana, A. B. Katumwehe, and G. E. Ekodeck., 2017. Geophysical imaging of Metacratonization in the Northern edge of the Congo Craton in Cameroon, Journal of African Earth Sciences, 129 (Supplement C), 94-107.
3. Katumwehe, A.B., Abdelsalam, M.G., Atekwana, E.A., 2015. The role of pre-existing Precambrian structures in rift evolution: The Albertine and Rhino grabens, Uganda. Tectonophysics 646, 117-129.
4. Katumwehe, A.B., Abdelsalam, M.G., Atekwana, E.A., Laó-Dávila, D.A., 2015. Katumwehe, A. B., M. G. Abdelsalam, E. A. Atekwana, and D. A. Laó-Dávila (2016), Extent, kinematics and tectonic origin of the Precambrian Aswa Shear Zone in eastern Africa, Gondwana Research, 34 (Supplement C), 241-253,
5. Abdelsalam, Mohamed., Katumwehe, A.B., Atekwana, E.A., Alan K LePera, Mercy Achang. 2016. The Paleoproterozoic Singo granite in south-central Uganda revealed as a nested igneous ring complex using geophysical data, Journal of African Earth Sciences, 116 (Supplement C), 198-212.
6. Nyalugwe Victor; Katumwehe A.B Mohamed G. Abdelsalam and Estella Atekwana 2018. Lithospheric Structure beneath the Mesozoic Chilwa Alkaline Province in Southern Malawi and Northeastern Mozambique. Geological Society of America (GSA). Submitted to Journal of African Earth Sciences.
7. Katumwehe, A.B., Atekwana, E.A., Abdelsalam, M.G., Kevin Mickus., 2018. Thermal structure and crustal thickness beneath the Albertine Graben: Observations from airborne, satellite gravity and borehole data (submitted to Geophysics Journal International).
8.Katumwehe, A.B., Tadesse B Alemu., Atekwana, E.A., Abdelsalam, M.G. Integrated Petroleum Analysis for the Albertine Graben in East Africa (To be submitted to Basin research).
9. Iftekhar Alam M.D and Katumwehe A.B., 2018.Void detection using a combined V¬P, VS and Electrical Resistivity (Submitted to Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems (SAGEEP).
B: Conference Abstracts Presentations at National Meetings
1. Chase Brandon Franklin., Katumwehe. A.B, Mohamed Abdelsalam. Chase. Kafue Rift: The forgotten Segment of the Southwestern Branch of the East African Rift ID: 310224. Geological Society of America GSA Abstract #310224 - South-Central Section - 52nd Annual Meeting – 2018.
2. Victor Nyalugwe; Mohamed G. Abdelsalam; Katumwehe A.B; and Estella Atekwana. Lithospheric Structure beneath the Mesozoic Chilwa Alkaline Province in Southern Malawi and Northeastern Mozambique. Geological Society of America (GSA). Abstract #310213 South-Central Section - 52nd Annual Meeting – 2018.
3. Iftekhar Alam M.D and Katumwehe A.B. Void detection using a combined V¬P, VS and Electrical Resistivity. Symposium on the Application of Geophysics to Engineering and Environmental Problems (SAGEEP) 2018 being held in Nashville Tennessee, USA March 25-29.
4.Katumwehe, A.B, Estella Atekwana, Mohamed G. Abdelsalam, Kevin Mickus, Jeannot F. Goussi Ngalamo Thermal and Crustal Structure beneath the northern segment of the Western branch of the East African Rift System: Constraints from Gravity and Magnetic Data Abstract ID and Title: AGU Fall Meeting, New Orleans 11-15 December 2017. Tittle ID 288153 Poster Final Abstract Number: T51F-0548.
5. Tadesse B. Alemu, Katumwehe A.B, Estella Atekwana and Mohamed Abdelsalam. Integrated Petroleum Analysis for the Albertine Graben in East Africa. American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) Annual Convention and Exhibition, Calgary, Alberta, Canada, June 22, 2016
6. Katumwehe, A.B, Tadesse B Alemu, Estella A Atekwana and Mohamed G Abdelsalam. Estimating heat flow and geothermal gradient from Magnetic and gravity data. An example from the Albertine graben East Africa. American Geophysical Union-Society of exploration geophysicist meeting, Potential-field and Electromagnetic Methods Applied to basin studies conference. Keystone Colorado 25-26 Aug 2015.
7. Katumwehe A.B, E.A. Atekwana, M.G. Abdelsalam, and D. Lao Davila (2014). Integrated analysis of airborne geophysical data to understand the extent, kinematics and tectonic evolution of the Aswa shear zone in East Africa. Abstract T23B-4659 presented at 2014 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 14-19 Dec.
8. Katumwehe, Andrew B.; Atekwana, Estella; Abdelsalam, Mohamed; Mickus, Kevin., 2015 Thermal Structure and Crustal thickness beneath the Albertine rift, Uganda from Potential Fields data. Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs. Vol. 47, No. 1, p.7.
9. Katumwehe, A.B, Atekwana, E.A; Abdelsalam, M.G. Rift strain localization, transfer, segmentation, and termination: Aeromagnetic imaging of the role of pre-existing structure in the evolution of the Albertine and Rhino grabens in Uganda and Congo, Abstract presented at Fall 2013 Geological Society of America Meeting , Denver Colorado 27-30 Oct 2013. Vol. 45, No. 7, p.822.
10.Katumwehe, A.B, E.A. Atekwana; M.G. Abdelsalam Strain localization and transfer facilitated by pre-exiting Precambrian structures in the Western Branch of the East African Rift System. Abstract presented, Fall 2013, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Houston Texas 26-30 Sept 2013.
11. Achang, M., E.A. Atekwana; Abdelsalam, M.G, Katumwehe, A.B. The Singo granite, mineral occurrences and ring complexes Uganda, Abstract presented at fall 2013 Geological Society of America Meeting, Denver Colorado 27-30 Oct 2013. Vol. 45, No. 7, p.536.
12. Katumwehe, A.B, E.A. Atekwana, M.G. Abdelsalam, Rift strain localization, transfer, segmentation, and termination: Aeromagnetic imaging of the role of pre-existing structure in the evolution of the Albertine and Rhino grabens in Uganda and Congo, Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, 45 (7) 822.
13. Katumwehe. A. B, E. A. Atekwana, M.G. Abdelsalam. Extent and kinematics of Aswa Shear Zone in Uganda and South Sudan using airborne geophysical and remote sensing data, Abstract ED43E-04 presented at 2012 Fall Meeting, AGU, San Francisco, Calif., 3-7 Dec.
14. Katumwehe. A,B E. A. Atekwana, M.G. Abdelsalam, Extent and kinematics of the Aswa Shear Zone (ASZ) in Uganda and South Sudan using airborne geophysical and remote sensing data. Abstract presented 2012, Morrison, NJ Hyatt October 25-27, 2012.
15.Reford, S., Kwan, K., Nyakaana, J., Katumwehe, A.B., and Wane, O. (2009) airborne geophysics as a tool to promote mineral investment in Africa. ASEG Extended Abstracts 2009: 20th Geophysical Conference: pp. 1-8
- Nyalugwe, V. N., M. G. Abdelsalam, A. B. Katumwehe, K. L. Mickus, and E. A. Atekwana (2020), Structure and tectonic setting of the Chingale Igneous Ring Complex, Malawi from aeromagnetic and satellite gravity data: Implication for Precambrian terranes collision and Neogene - Quaternary rifting, Journal of African Earth Sciences, 163, 103760, doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jafrearsci.2020.103760.