- (940) 397-4563
- Assistant Professor
- Political Science
- O'Donohoe Hall
Juheon Lee is an assistant professor of political science at Midwestern State University where he teaches American Government, Asian Politics, Environmental Politics, and Research Methods. His research focuses on environmental politics, disaster resilience, and social capital in the East Asian region and beyond, and his research work has appeared in interdisciplinary journals such as Environmental Sociology, Environmental Hazards, and Disasters. He is serving on the editorial boards of peer-reviewed journals including Natural Hazards Review, Environmental Protection Research, Int'l Journal of Criminology and Sociology, and Frontiers in Sustainable Cities. Visit his personal website for more information about him and his research projects.
|Northeastern University||Doctorate in Political Science||2019|
|University at Albany, State University of New York||Master's in Political Science||2014|
|Seoul National University||Master's in International Studies||2012|
|Hankuk University of Foreign Studies||Bachelor's in Chinese Literature||2007|
|Employer||Position||Start Date||End Date|
|Midwestern State University||Assistant Professor||09/01/2020|
|Lafayette College||Visiting Assistant Professor||07/01/2019||06/30/2020|
- "Preparedness behaviors for natural hazards and their association with experiences, perceptions, and social engagement in Taiwanese society." Environmental Sociology. 2022.
- "Voluntary associations and hazard preparedness behavior amongst Taiwanese individuals," Environmental Hazards. 2022.
- "Policy responses to COVID-19 and discrimination against foreign nationals in South Korea." Critical Asian Studies. 2021.
- "The social impact of natural hazards: A multilevel analysis of disasters and forms of trust in mainland China." Disasters. 2021.
- "Waving Israeli flags at right-wing Christian rallies in South Korea." Journal of Contemporary Asia. 2021.
- "Post-disaster trust in Japan: The social impact of the experiences and perceived risks of natural hazards." Environmental Hazards. 2020.
- "Bonding versus bridging social capital and their associations with self-evaluated community resilience: A comparative study of East Asia." Journal of Community & Applied Social Psychology. 2020.
- "Promoting majority culture and excluding external ethnic influences: China's strategy for the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage List." Social Identities. 2020.
- "Municipal-level determinants of suicide rates in South Korea: Exploring the role of social capital and local government policies." Journal of Asian Public Policy. 2020.
- "How do natural hazards affect participation in voluntary associations? The social impacts of disasters in Japanese society." International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction. 2019.
- "Still a new democracy? Individual-level effects of social trust on political trust in South Korea." Asian Journal of Political Science. 2018.
- "The impact of crime rate, experience of crime, and fear of crime on resident's participation in association: Studying 25 districts in the city of Seoul, South Korea." Crime Prevention & Community Safety. 2018.
Non-Peer Reviewed Publications
- Cooperation on non-traditional security for peace and prosperity in Northeast Asia, Korea Institute for National Unification Research Report, 21-8. 2021.
- "Social ties, quarantine policy, and the spread of COVID-19." Natural Hazards Center Quick Response Report, QR 314. 2020.
- "COVID-19 Community Assessment Survey," Harvard Dataverse, V1. 2020.
- "The social fallout from Pohang's man-made earthquake." The Diplomat (December 21, 2019).
Student-Led Research Publication (* indicates student)
- Lee, Juheon, Aleksey Asiryan & *Michael Butler, "Integration for the Central Asian Republics: the ASEAN example." E-International Relations (September 17, 2020).
- *Cannedy, Zetta and Juheon Lee, "Abortion Attitudes in American Society: Role of Sexism, Working Mother, and State Policies" Journal of Integrated Social Sciences. (Forthcoming)
- *Watson, Antonella, Margarida Rodrigues, and Juheon Lee, "Citizens' Trust in Government and Satisfaction with Democracy in Venezuela" Latin American Policy. (Under review)